Effective January 1, 2021, Florida will require private employers to verify a person’s employment eligibility after the person accepts an offer of employment. Private employers can comply by either:
- using the E-Verify system, or
- completing an I-9 and retaining the I-9 documentation for at least three years after the person’s hire date.
A Public employer, or a company that contracts with a public employer, must use E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet-based system run by the federal government which allows employers to verify that newly hired employees are eligible to work in the US.
Failure to comply with this new verification law may result in the revocation of your Florida business license(s). While your business retains the sole and exclusive responsibility for verifying an individual’s eligibility for employment and complying with applicable laws that require verification or use of the E-Verify system, MBA is here to help you.
We are ready and willing to:
- Provide consultation to you if you are not sure if your business is required to or should use E-Verify.
- Retain copies of your I-9 documentation in our system. Please let your Account Manager know if you would like to take advantage of this retention option.
- Assist you in enrolling and participating in E-Verify. Note that this is an add-on service with MBA and will require the completion of specific paperwork. Please let your Account Manager know if you would like to add this service to your account with us.
- Provide you with tools to comply with this new law. We are hosting a webinar about this new law on December 10, 2020. You can register here. You can also find additional E-Verify resources on our website’s blog page.
Please reach out to your Account Manager if you have any questions or concerns.