If you are currently implementing new processes in your company, it’s probably a good time to take a look at accountability. All managers and employees should know what happens at each step of the process. All of your employees should also always know what’s expected of them. According to the Vermont Small Business Development Center, when addressing accountability, it’s important to link specific responsibilities to specific consequences.
By encouraging and addressing accountability concerns, this can create a top-down environment of cooperating with and creating respect for co-workers. Encouraging personal accountability should help workers understand that everyone is expected to be committed to maintaining and achieving greater levels of success. When the importance of accountability processes are addressed, this ensures there is no “passing of the buck.”
The Vermont Small Business Development Center recommends five ways to strengthen accountability on the job:
- Employees are given enough authority, education and training to accomplish their responsibilities. When employees feel empowered to do their jobs, they normally do it better. In addition, when they have the knowledge to complete necessary tasks, this is a win-win for everyone.
- Employees have written job descriptions that clearly state their responsibilities. All employees should know at all times what’s expected of them. Job descriptions outline responsibilities so there are no questions.
- Employees are recognized and praised for jobs well done. Managers and supervisors should take time to commend workers when things go right. Workers also feel more appreciated when their hard work doesn’t go unnoticed.
- Compliance with workplace rules is monitored and enforced. Supervisors are the key to making this happen. Consistency should also be maintained.
- When employees don’t follow the rules, they should be appropriately disciplined. This also sets an example to other employees that they need to do their jobs.
Modern Business Associates is an HR company that focuses on payroll and HR outsourcing. We routinely work with clients on strengthening accountability in the workplace. As a Professional Payroll and HR outsource organization, our clients rely on us to help them effectively deal with these kinds of topics.
Currently rated by 0 people