Employee Letter of Reprimand Example: How to Write a Great One
- Employee Letter of Reprimand Example
- Employee Letter of Reprimand Example: How to Write a Great One
- Tips for Writing a Strong Letter
- Letter Example
There are many ways to write a strong, yet respectable reprimand letter to an employee. Here are some helpful tips for writing a great letter, followed by an employee letter of reprimand example.
Tips for Writing a Great Letter:
- Prior to writing a reprimand letter, check with your company to see what policies and procedures are in place.
- Most of the time, you should talk with the employee in person first, and then document the discussion and situation.
- Try to begin the letter with a positive quality in the employee.
- Be upfront about why you are writing the letter and emphasize the problem. Outline why the person is being reprimanded and give specific examples. Refer to previous incidences if this issue has been addressed previously.
- The letter should be expansive enough to cover any future challenges or confrontations.
- The letter should include suggestions on how the situation can be corrected. State any action the employee should take and any applicable deadlines.
- Clearly define consequences if improvements are not made.
- Before making any allegations, make sure all facts are accurate.
- Use clear and concise verbiage so there are no misunderstandings.
- End the letter on a positive note. This can be done by expressing belief the person will fix the problem.
- Have the employee sign the letter as evidence the situation was discussed. It then will serve as part of a written record if further action is necessary.
Employee Reprimand Letter Example:
TO: Employee Name/Title
FROM: Your Name/Title
SUBJECT: Conversation Follow-Up
Thank you for serving our company as (LIST TITLE). Your role is critical to our success. This serves as a follow-up and documents our conversation on (DATE). During our discussion, I shared some job concerns that are in need of improvement. (IF THERE HAVE BEEN PREVIOUS DISCUSSIONS, LIST AND ELABORATE ON THOSE DATES AND CONCERNS).
At this time, you are not meeting the following performance requirements.
- LIST REQUIREMENTS NOT BEING MET
Your role is extremely important to our company. (DEFINE WHAT EMPLOYEE NEEDS TO DO TO GET BACK ON TRACK).
We will monitor your progress and hope to see improvements by (LIST DATE). At that time, we will meet again to discuss your position. We are confident you will take the necessary actions to correct this problem so we can move forward. Thank you for your continued dedication.
___________________________________ Date: ________________
(Signing this document means you acknowledge receipt of this memo)
CC: Department Head
These tips and employee letter of reprimand example should guide you in the right direction when dealing with employee issues.
Modern Business Associates is an HR company that focuses on payroll and HR outsourcing. We routinely work with clients and employee issues. As a Professional Payroll and HR outsource organization, our clients rely on us to help them effectively deal with these kinds of topics.
Currently rated by 4 people